Hawaiian Hansen's!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Hansen Party!


It’s always fun to have family around! We were so excited with Tim and Bev flew into St. Louis on July 14! Lyndon worked until 2am, and we learned that Ster and Parker both got bumped to the next flight and got into St. Louis super late anyway, so we drove down to St. Louis the next morning! We walked down to the Arch! While we waited for our time to head up the arch we were able to walk around the museum!
We then saw a movie about the making of the arch! It was amazing watching how they had to be so precise through every step so that when they got to the top the two sides matched up! So the time arrived for us to head up the arch! We got into the little eggs and began the climb up! Once we got to the top we all got out safely – except for Bev and Tim! Their egg wouldn’t open, and they had to make the trip back down and up again! Meanwhile, the rest of us were at the top and it was getting more crowded by the minute! But the views are fantastic!
We ate a yummy lunch and Lyndon ate my birthday cake for me!

We walked to the Cardinals Stadium and took pictures at this fountain!
And we went to Union Station! It was originally a train station, but has since been turned into a mall! The fudge people sang to us! And we whispered into the whispering wall!

July 16 was Lincoln Day! We drove back to Springfield and saw lots of the Lincoln sites! First was the museum! It was extremely well done and gave a lot of history about Lincoln’s growing up and his term as president, the museum even included a few shows!
 We also walked through the Lincoln Restoration Library, and his old law office, and than onto his house! The Hansen boys never even had to duck their heads because Lincoln was their height! They were the only people there who could have used Lincoln’s shaving mirror!
The Capital Building
Later that night I got to be the designated driver to Nauvoo! I had Lyndon turn on a Disney station on Pandora - I was good to go for hours! I don't think Lyndon realized how much of a Disney fan I actually am.


Nauvoo Day and Dylan’s Birthday!! We started out the morning by doing a session in the Nauvoo temple! It was beautiful and is the same layout as the St. George Temple! It was very clean cut and simple which I thought was really pretty! One of my religion teachers in Hawaii – Brother Tefan – was in the same session (He’s from Tahiti! And even remembered me!)
 We started the touring with the reorganized-LDS church and saw Joseph Smith’s homes, hotel, and store (where the family enjoyed some cold root beer).
 We were able to see the Blacksmith shop – and got the nail rings, and he even gave me a horseshoe nail!
 The Brickshop!
The schoolhouse, the print shop, the bakery, Brigham Young’s house, John Taylor’s house, and a big center where we learned about candle, bread, and rope making! We also got to see where guns were made! 
A Hansen Relative owned this gun!
Just making a print!
We had to eat at Grandpa John's - in honor of my Grandpa Robinson! 
Next came the Pageant and all the festivities! I challenged Parker to the stick pull – it was close, but I didn’t want to embarrass him too much! There were lots of games and fun things to do before the Pageant started!
The next day we drove to Carthage Jail. It is an amazing spirit that is felt in the jail and yes I did cry! I love that the bullet holes are still in the door!
Parker wanted the challenge of eating the famous horseshoe and he did it!
I packed up my two suitcases and drove to St. Louis with the Hansen’s – leaving Lyndon for a full month! 

No comments:

Post a Comment